Sports Science in Relation to Medicine BSc

Year of entry

Register your interest for Open Days 2024

Bookings for our 2024 Open Days are not open, but you can sign up to be informed once dates are announced. Register your interest

Start date
September 2024
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
1 year full time

Course overview

Sport Science and Physiology

Do you have a passion for sport and exercise? On this course you will be provided with a full understanding of the scientific foundations of sport performance and health-related exercise. You'll study elements of biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control and sports psychology in addition to working alongside final year sport and exercise students.

This course is designed to provide you with opportunities to gain experience in laboratory-based skills and research training. Previous students have even gone on to present their research at student medical conferences and regional sports medicine interest groups.

Additional highlights include:

• Working in research teams to complete experimental work.

• Access to support provided to help develop academic writing skills.

• A holistic view of the issues that relate to health and disease.

Course details

By the end of this course, you should:

• Understand the contribution of the disciplines of sports science to the understanding of performance enhancement in its various forms.

• Be able to demonstrate a broad appreciation of each of the major sports science disciplines (biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control/sports psychology).

• Have an in-depth appreciation of at least one of the disciplines, and their relationship to exercise and/or sport.

You'll be introduced to state-of-the-art techniques currently in use in research laboratories and will have an understanding of theoretical and conceptual foundations of biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor control and sports and exercise psychology.

You'll also develop the analytical, evaluation and design skills necessary for work in a research environment.

Health and exercise is a key issue for both medical practitioners and for sports scientists and this course will provide an added dimension and focus for your medicine-related studies.

A major feature of the course is the research project, which will enable you to bring your own perspective to an individual or group project and to work alongside staff at the forefront of their area of research.

Research projects

Projects can be either laboratory or field-based. In both case state of the art equipment is used to collect data. Alternative, evaluation of the literature may be conducted via systematic reviews. Project titles cover the full breath of disciplines in sport and exercise science, for example:

• Attention and joint coupling in jumping tasks.

• Sudden cardiac death during active sports: would screening be cost effective?

• Can ventilator efficiency provide an effective measure of performance?

• The role of physical activity in psychological recovery from chronic disease and disability.

The research project itself is written up as a journal article, and if of high enough quality this lends itself to some students having the opportunity for publication.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Sports Science in Relation to Medicine BSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Intercalation in Biomedical Sciences 10
Advanced Skills 20
Capstone Research Project 40
Advanced Exercise Physiology 10
Contemporary Issues in Sport and Exercise Medicine 10

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

Module Name Credits
Outdoor Adventure-Land, Water and Air Activities 10
Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise 10
Social Psychology of Sport and Exercise 10
Skill Acquisition and Motor Learning 10
Physical Activity and Health 20
Motor Control and Neurorehabilitation 10
Exercise and Psychological Health 10
Exercise Prescription for Health and Disease 10
Motor and Psychological Aspects of Rehabilitation 10

Learning and teaching

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

Teaching will be through lectures, practical classes, seminars, small group teaching, tutorials and a research project. Assessment is similarly varied, including in-course assessment (formative and summative) and written examinations. The in-course assessment exercises include tests of practical skills, essay writing, data manipulation and problem solving. The research project will be assessed throughout the project and on the final written report. Degree classification will be based upon the marks obtained in each of the component modules, with the appropriate credit weighting applied.

Entry requirements

Other course specific tests:

Successful completion of the first two years of an MBChB programme at UK Universities or international equivalent. For international students proof of English Language proficiency will be required. In line with undergraduate medicine we require a minimum of English GCSE grade B or IELTS 7.5.

International Foundation Year

International students who do not meet the academic requirements for undergraduate study may be able to study the University of Leeds International Foundation Year. This gives you the opportunity to study on campus, be taught by University of Leeds academics and progress onto a wide range of Leeds undergraduate courses. Find out more about International Foundation Year programmes.

Fees

UK: £9,250 (per year)

International: £30,250 (per year)

Tuition fees for UK undergraduate students starting in 2023/24 and 2024/25
Tuition fees for UK full-time undergraduate students are set by the UK Government and will remain capped at £9,250 for 2023/24 and 2024/25. The fee may increase in future years of your course in line with inflation only as a consequence of future changes in Government legislation and as permitted by law.

Tuition fees for international undergraduate students starting in 2023/24 and 2024/25
Tuition fees for international students for 2023/24 and 2024/25 are available on individual course pages.

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There is help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government. Find out more in our Undergraduate funding overview.

Applying

Read about applying for intercalation on the School of Medicine website.

Please note:

In addition to the application form you will be required a write a 500 word statement on why you wish to study the subject. This statement should demonstrate interest and enthusiasm in understanding the influence physical activity and exercise may have on general health, disease prevention, and/or rehabilitation. In addition, the statement should provide evidence of curricular and extracurricular engagement with allied topics, and awareness of health care issues related to physical activity and exercise.

This course is taught by

Faculty of Biological Sciences

Contact us

Faculty of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Admissions Office

Email: fbsadmissions@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Career opportunities

The course is designed to give you a challenging, enjoyable and rewarding year which will add significantly to your skills, knowledge, and enhance your career opportunities on graduation.

The course allows full integration with existing science based BSc courses and the chance of a substantive research project.

In addition to providing subject-specific knowledge, we equip you with the best possible skills for future careers. There is a strong emphasis on practical based teaching, small group teaching, online learning and problem solving. You will gain a wide range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. You will be ideally placed to focus on your personal development and make the most of your intercalating year.

Careers support

We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers.

Leeds for Life is our unique approach to helping you make the most of University by supporting your academic and personal development. Find out more at the Leeds for Life website.

The Careers Centre and staff in your faculty provide a range of help and advice to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions along the way, even after you graduate. Find out more about Careers support.