Cardiac Device and Rhythm Management PGCert

Year of entry

Start date
January 2025
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
9 months part time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) degree in a related field 2:2 including nursing, radiography, or equivalent.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.5 in every skill
UK fees
£4,500 (Total)
International fees
£10,333 (Total)

Course overview

the cardiac device and rhythm management postgraduate course has been designed to provide advanced education and training to practicing cardiac physiologists, doctors and healthcare professionals

Cardiac disease is a leading cause of death worldwide. In the UK the demand for cardiac specialists is greater than ever, with demand for the profession on the rise. Cardiac rhythm and device practitioners are sought after specialists who work across hospital and community environments, combining patient care and problem solving. 

Make an impact

Our Cardiac Device and Rhythm Management course will prepare you to become a highly competent and advanced practitioner, ready to make a real contribution to modern healthcare services. It is designed for healthcare professionals with a specialist interest in cardiac rhythm management and implantable cardiac devices (including pacemakers, ICDs and heart failure devices).

Course highlights

• Develop specialist clinical expertise underpinned by in-depth theoretical knowledge in implantable cardiac devices including pacemakers, ICD, CRT and remote monitoring.
  • Gain an understanding of the evidence and research base of the discipline.
  • Teaching is delivered by anactive research-focused, multi-disciplinary team of clinical academics including IBHRE and BHRS accredited cardiac physiologists, specialist nurses and cardiologists.
  • Complete hands-on training in implantable loop recorder implantation.
  • Aimed at a range of healthcare professionals including Cardiac Physiologists, Hospital Doctors, GPs, Cardiac Nurse Specialists, Physician Associates, Radiographers and Allied Health Professionals.

Course details

This is a nine month course with teaching during two week-long intensive study weeks in Leeds: one in the first semester and the other in the second semester. International students will require one short term study visa because both study weeks are within a six-month period. You will complete the rest of your study from your home country and submit your assessment online.

To gain the PG Cert qualification you will complete both 30 credit modules:

The Bradycardia Device and Rhythm Management module covers many aspects of bradycardia rhythm management with primary focus on bradycardia devices. This module is particularly relevant for practising cardiac physiologists and allied health professionals who are involved with cardiac pacemaker implantation and follow up.

Topics covered include anatomy; physiology; pathophysiology related to conduction system; pharmacology; pacemaker implantation and follow up; and patient management.

The Tachycardia Device and Rhythm Management module covers many aspects of tachyarrhythmia management with the primary focus on cardiac devices and electrophysiology. This module is particularly relevant to practising health professionals who are involved in caring for patients with tachyarrhythmias and heart failure.

Topics covered include electrophysiology and haemodynamics; electrophysiology studies; ICD Implant and follow up indications; contraindications; procedures; troubleshooting; DVLA regulations; MHRA; and ethics.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Cardiac Device and Rhythm Management PGCert in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Bradycardia Device and Rhythm Management 30
Tachycardia Device and Rhythm Management 30

Learning and teaching

On completion of our course, you will:

• demonstrate in-depth specialist knowledge of techniques relevant to cardiac rhythm management.

• develop an advanced understanding of concepts and techniques across the forefront of cardiac rhythm management.

• demonstrate an advanced understanding of research techniques.

• proactively formulate ideas and hypotheses and evaluate these alongside current issues and research in cardiac rhythm management.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

We use a range of assessment methods to assess your knowledge and professional skills, including written examination, oral examination and written essays. You’ll need to demonstrate the knowledge and application of standard concepts, information and techniques relevant to the discipline. You will draw on a wide variety of material and be able to critically evaluate them.

Applying

Entry requirements

Entry Requirements

• GCSE English and Maths grade C or above or equivalent

• Relevant undergraduate degree in a related field including BSc (Hons) Clinical Physiology (Cardiology) or BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology) or equivalent e.g. HNC MPPM, professional body exams such as BHRS.

• Undergraduate degree in a related field 2:2 including nursing, radiography, or equivalent.

• There must be evidence that you have studied within the last 5 years and must have access to cardiac assessment opportunities as part of your current role.

English requirements for candidates for whom English is not their first language:

• GCSE English Language grade C or above

English language requirements

IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.5 in every skill. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Science (6 weeks) and Language for Science: General Science (10 weeks)

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Applications are considered on the basis of the applicant’s qualifications and experience. Applications may close before the deadline date if numbers accepted reach capacity.

Deadline for applications is 14 December 2023.

Your application must include a reference indicating managerial consent in support of your application, including indication that you are employed in an appropriately related clinical area and that you have the appropriate time for study. The references should be provided on headed paper with either a stamp from the institution or an electronic signature.

The ‘Apply’ link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

If you have any questions please email pgmed-admissions@leeds.ac.uk.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

School of Medicine Taught Postgraduate Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Medicine

Contact us

School of Medicine Postgraduate Admissions

Email: pgmed-admissions@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £4,500 (Total)

International: £10,333 (Total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

Studying in the School of Medicine at Leeds is an amazing opportunity, but we know that the cost can be difficult for many people to meet. If you are keen to join us, a range of funding opportunities are available.

Career opportunities

100% of our graduates report that they're now using skills acquired during the course (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2024).

The NHS employs the majority of cardiac specialists, and our course is tailored to provide direct preparation to prepare you for this speciality. Some cardiac specialists work in the private sector and in GP surgeries.

Opportunities arise for cardiac specialists to work in industry as application specialists, supporting clients in using and troubleshooting equipment. Cardiac specialists work largely autonomously, making clinical decisions and providing clinical reports. They also conduct diagnostic assessments and provide treatment.

Cardiac specialist roles can also include:

• Consultant
  • Counsellor
  • Advisor
  • Educator
  • Facilitator
  • Researcher
  • Therapist.

Whichever area you plan to move into once you’ve graduated our dedicated careers team, including your own personal supervisor, are on hand to provide detailed and specific career guidance and support to make sure that you are well positioned to move into your chosen career.

Student profile: Jess Bloodworth

I had an epiphany of sorts with the EP aspects of the Tachy devices module – various people have tried for many many years to get me to understand it. Finally, I got it!
Find out more about Jess Bloodworth's time at Leeds

Alumni profile: Olly Shriver

I have studied both the brady and tachy modules. They served as a refresher on current updated indications for device management of cardiac rhythm disorders including the function and algorithms.
Olly Shriver, Highly Specialist Cardiac Physiologist
Find out more about Olly Shriver's time at Leeds