Nursing Associate (Apprenticeship) FD

Year of entry

2025 course information
Start dates
February 2024
We encourage employees to contact the LLC Apprenticeship Team for further information
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
24 months full time
Work placement
Mandatory
Available to UK residents only
Yes

Course overview

Nursing Associate (Apprenticeship) FD

The Nursing Associate is a new support role developed by the NHS. Nursing associates will work alongside existing healthcare support workers and fully-qualified, registered nurses to deliver hands-on care for patients.

The two-year, Foundation Degree Nursing Associate (Apprenticeship), allows you to gain the technical knowledge, practical experience, and functional skills needed for both the nursing associate role, and your long-term career. The course is taught through a mix of academic learning at the University, days in practice at your existing place of work, and placement days in a variety of health and care settings.

You will be taught by experienced staff who are dedicated to helping you with all aspects of your progress. The course is designed to support your development as a nursing associate and to enable you to apply your learning directly to your work.

When you have completed the course, you will be equipped with the knowledge, understanding, skills, attitudes, and behaviours relevant to your role as a nursing associate, and will work to a nationally recognised code of conduct.

This apprenticeship programme is accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). Apprentices who successfully complete the apprenticeship will be able to register with the NMC.

Course details

Learning outcomes for this course address the six key standards of proficiency set out by the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC). These are:

• being an accountable professional

• promoting health and preventing ill-health

• providing and monitoring care

• working in teams

• improving safety and quality of care

• contributing to integrated care

There is a strong emphasis on your development of clinical practice, coupled with acquiring skills for successful study at university. Half of each year of the course is clinically based, and teaching across modules is designed to help and support you in your learning.

This course is delivered under the apprenticeship model, with apprenticeships completing a minimum of 6 hours per week off-the-job learning. The programme is taught in week blocks to provide greater flexibility for employers and apprentices.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Nursing Associate (Apprenticeship) FD in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Assessment in Practice 1 60
Professional Practice 1 20
Leadership and Care Delivery 20
Anatomy and Physiology for Clinical Practice 1 20

Year 2 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Anatomy and Physiology for Clinical Practice 2 20
Assessment in Practice 2 60
Professional Practice 2 20
Work based Research Project 20

Learning and teaching

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Entry requirements

GCSE: GCSE English and maths at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent). T Levels will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We welcome applications from students with a wide range of qualifications.

Other course specific tests:

Level 3 health/social care qualification, or equivalent.

Alternative qualification

Access to HE Diploma

60 credits overall, with 45 credits at Level 3, of which 30 must be at Merit and 15 at Pass.

BTEC

Pass, Pass, Pass

Alternative entry

Alternative Entry Scheme for mature applicants

If you are a mature applicant and you don't have the required Level 3 or GCSE qualifications, you can complete our Alternative Entry Scheme (subject to meeting the eligibility criteria for the scheme). As part of this, you may be asked to take tests in English and maths and to write an essay.

The Higher Apprenticeship requires that applicants who do not already hold GCSE English and maths at grade C/4 (or equivalent) will need to achieve Level 2 English and maths prior to taking their end-point assessment. Contact the Lifelong Learning Centre for more information.

English language requirements

IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.5 in any component.

Fees

UK: Please see fees section below

The fees for this course are paid by your employer through the apprenticeship levy.

Please note you will not be eligible for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loan Company.

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

Applying

For guidance on applying to a Lifelong Learning Centre course, visit our admissions guidance page.

You must be currently employed in a healthcare setting in a levy-paying or non-levy paying institution and have the support of your employer. Applications for this course should be made via your line manager in the first instance. Employers should contact the Lifelong Learning Centre for more information.

The selection process will include an interview with your employer and the Lifelong Learning Centre to assess suitability. If you’re entering through the Alternative Entry Scheme, you will be sent details after your interview.

Admissions policy

Lifelong Learning Centre Admissions Policy 2023

This course is taught by

Lifelong Learning Centre

Contact us

Chartered Manager Degree apprenticeship admissions

Email: LLC-Apprenticeships@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Career opportunities

A qualification from the University of Leeds counts: our graduates are highly valued by employers. When you complete your degree programme you will also become part of a network of highly employable graduates.

A University of Leeds degree will make you very attractive to employers and enhance your career prospects. Graduates of this course will have a solid platform for career development and further study. The course has been developed to meet workforce development needs identified by Healthcare trusts in the Yorkshire and Humber region. As a Foundation Degree graduate, you would be able to assume responsibility to deliver delegated elements of protocol-based health and social care and undertake clinical work in areas previously only within the remit of registered healthcare providers.

Careers support

Impartial information, advice, and guidance is available to all students enrolled on courses taught by the Lifelong Learning Centre. We have fully qualified careers advisers who offer employability support, advice on job applications, CVs, and preparation for interviews, together with guidance on career options following your graduation.

Study abroad and work placements

Clinical placements are required to meet Nursing and Midwifery Council requirements.