Human Physiology in Relation to Medicine BSc

Year of entry

Register your interest for Open Days 2024

Bookings for our 2024 Open Days are not open, but you can sign up to be informed once dates are announced. Register your interest

Start date
September 2024
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
1 year full time

Course overview

Human Physiology

Physiology is the unique and exciting discipline which underpins modern medicine. On this course, through research-led teaching you will discover how the body copes with the demands we place upon it during everyday life.

You will study how these systems can go wrong in diseases such as diabetes, obesity, hypertension, and neurodegeneration.

Your approach will be an integrative one, ranging from understanding how whole organs work and interact to control body functions, down to the individual molecular mechanisms operating within cells.

Feedback from graduates is highly positive on this degree course, which has been praised for its choice of modules available and wide variety of topics to choose from for the advanced topics module. This course provides you with the opportunity to choose topics that interest you the most.

Past comments praising the course:

• "The dissertations were beneficial in increasing our transferable skills set."

• "Project supervisors gave lots of support."

• "Learnt how to critically appraise literature, which will be a highly beneficial skill to have for the future."

Course details

The course will:

• Provide you with advanced study of specialist areas such as cellular physiology, neuroscience and integrative physiology, broadly reflecting the research interests of the teaching staff.

• Require you to undertake a research project from a wide range of styles and subject areas.

• Provide opportunities to develop competency in transferable skills, including communication skills, problem solving, experimental design, data and information retrieval, integration, analysis and interpretation, using statistics and computing/information technology as appropriate.

• Provide appropriate support and guidance.

• Provide high quality learning resources to support the objectives of the course.

Research projects

You can apply for, or may be offered, projects in any area of Biomedical Science (eg human physiology, pharmacology, neuroscience), which include laboratory, literature, computational, educational, commercial, societal, or systematic review research projects. Here are some titles of projects offered recently by members of the Physiology Programme team or undertaken by our intercalating students:

• Mechanisms of respiratory rhythm generation

• Mechanisms of acute/chronic pain and analgesia

• Trigeminal system and chronic oro-facial pain

• Nanotoxicity

• Cellular mechanisms associated with cardiac dysfunction

• Lipid regulation of cardiac myocyte function

• Cardia myocyte morphology and function

• Excitation-contraction coupling in diseased myocardium

• Computational analysis of arrhythmogenesis in virtual ventricular tissue

• Obesity: an epidemic

• Renal Physiology, Aquaporins & Water balance

• Molecular physiology and pharmacology of P2X and TRPM ion channels

• Structural basis of movement in living cells: molecular motors

• The genetic basis of neurological disorders

• Stem cell differentiation and development

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Human Physiology in Relation to Medicine BSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Advanced Topics in Human Physiology I 20
Advanced Skills 20
Capstone Research Project 40

Discovery modules

Throughout your degree you will benefit from a range of opportunities to expand your intellectual horizons outside or within your subject area.

This course gives you the opportunity to choose from a range of discovery modules. They’re a great way to tailor your study around your interests or career aspirations and help you stand out from the crowd when you graduate. Find out more about discovery modules on our Broadening webpages.

Learning and teaching

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

You are assessed in two ways. Depending on which modules you take, approximately two-thirds of your final mark will come from the module exams, which you will sit in January (semester 1 exam period) and May (semester 2 exam period). The remaining third of your final mark will come from course work during the year - including the research project.

Entry requirements

Other course specific tests:

Successful completion of the first two years of an MBChB programme at UK Universities or international equivalent. For international students proof of English Language proficiency will be required. In line with undergraduate medicine we require a minimum of English GCSE grade B or IELTS 7.5.

International Foundation Year

International students who do not meet the academic requirements for undergraduate study may be able to study the University of Leeds International Foundation Year. This gives you the opportunity to study on campus, be taught by University of Leeds academics and progress onto a wide range of Leeds undergraduate courses. Find out more about International Foundation Year programmes.

Fees

UK: £9,250 (per year)

International: £30,250 (per year)

Tuition fees for UK undergraduate students starting in 2024/25
Tuition fees for UK full-time undergraduate students are set by the UK Government and will be £9,250 for students starting in 2024/25.

The fee may increase in future years of your course in line with inflation only, as a consequence of future changes in Government legislation and as permitted by law.

Tuition fees for UK undergraduate students starting in 2025/26
Tuition fees for UK full-time undergraduate students starting in 2025/26 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. When the fee is available we will update individual course pages.

Tuition fees for international undergraduate students starting in 2024/25 and 2025/26
Tuition fees for international students for 2024/25 are available on individual course pages. Fees for students starting in 2025/26 will be available from September 2024.

Read more about paying fees and charges.

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There is help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government. Find out more in our Undergraduate funding overview.

Applying

Read about applying for intercalation on the School of Medicine website.

This course is taught by

Faculty of Biological Sciences

Contact us

Faculty of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Admissions Office

Email: fbsadmissions@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Career opportunities

The course is designed to give you a challenging, enjoyable and rewarding year which will add significantly to your skills, knowledge, and enhance your career opportunities on graduation.

The course allows full integration with existing science based BSc courses and the chance of a substantive research project.

In addition to providing subject-specific knowledge, we equip you with the best possible skills for future careers. There is a strong emphasis on practical based teaching, small group teaching, online learning and problem solving. You will gain a wide range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. You will be ideally placed to focus on your personal development and make the most of your intercalating year.

Careers support

We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers.

Leeds for Life is our unique approach to helping you make the most of University by supporting your academic and personal development. Find out more at the Leeds for Life website.

The Careers Centre and staff in your faculty provide a range of help and advice to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions along the way, even after you graduate. Find out more about Careers support.