Advanced Chemical Engineering MSc

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2024
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in chemical engineering. Applicants must have strong marks across a breadth of relevant modules, including mathematics and physical sciences.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
UK fees
£13,750 (Total)
International fees
£31,000 (Total)
Accredited
Yes

Course overview

Student doing a nuclear engineering experiment in the lab

The Advanced Chemical Engineering MSc at Leeds will build on the core foundations you’ve learned already in chemical engineering, advancing your skills in this continually evolving discipline.

The course has been specifically designed to provide greater depth in aspects of advanced chemical engineering and a range of up-to-date process technologies. These will enable you to design, operate and manage processes and associated manufacturing plants whilst providing leadership in innovation, research and development and technology transfer.

You’ll study in the School of Chemical and Process Engineering which is actively involved in developing ‘internationally excellent’ research that has impacted the world. This gives us first-hand insight into the latest trends and practices in modern chemical engineering — much of which is fed directly into the course.

This means that, once you graduate, you’ll be fully equipped with the forward-thinking, relevant and topical knowledge sought after by global companies in industry. Plus, your extensive skill set will open the door to many different career paths — including developing sustainable chemical products, functional materials and pharmaceuticals.

During your studies, you’ll also have access to specialist facilities that will complement your curriculum requirements and be taught by expert lecturers who are leaders in their fields.

Why study at Leeds:

• This Masters degree is accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
  • Our globally-renowned research conducted right here in our School feeds into your course, shaping your learning with the latest thinking in areas such as sustainable systems and processes.
  • Advance your knowledge and skills in critical areas sought after in industry such as reaction engineering, multi-scale modelling and product design and development.
  • Tailor the course to specialise in your career interests through a variety of optional modules including energy management and conservation, fuel processing and nanomaterials.
  • Conduct your own individual research project as part of your course and gain industry experience in planning, executing and reporting.
  • Access UK-leading research laboratories and specialist facilities, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) for modelling and simulation of a wide range of processes, and facilities for nanotechnology and colloid science and technology.
  • Experience excellent practical and theoretical teaching delivered by a programme team with a wealth of expertise and experience across many chemical and process engineering disciplines.
  • Enhance your career prospects and become part of our successful alumni who have pursued exciting careers in global companies including P&G, Syngenta and Origin Energy.
  • Master the most up-to-date practices and techniques recognised in industry on a course that has been directly informed and advised by the Industrial Advisory Board.

Chemical engineering undergraduate students in the lab

Accreditation

Institution of Chemical Engineers

Accreditation is the assurance that a university course meets the quality standards established by the profession for which it prepares its students.

This course is accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) on behalf of the Engineering Council.

This Masters degree is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning to Masters Level if you have an IChemE-accredited bachelor's degree (or have the academic equivalent assessed through the IChemE Individual Case Procedure). This provides the fast-track route to professional Chartered Engineer (CEng) status and ensures the quality of the education provided.

Course details

The compulsory modules on the course include industry-relevant topics surrounding smarter product development through the digitalisation of processes. This includes recent advances in chemical engineering, multi-scale modelling and simulation (including CFD), advanced reaction engineering and product design and development. Alongside the core modules, you’ll also have a choice of optional modules, allowing you to gain specialist knowledge in a topic that suits your career plans or personal interests. Optional module topics include energy management and conservation, fule processing and nanomaterials.

Project work

You’ll also undertake an independent research project which will equate to one-third of your course credits. Not only will you be able to choose a topic that explores your interests — normally related to one of our globally-renowned research areas — you’ll also gain invaluable experience planning and executing a real-world project while immersed in one of our research groups, working alongside PhD students. You'll gain experience reporting research data to various a broad range of audiences, preparing you for the next steps in your career.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Advanced Chemical Engineering MSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Research Project (MSc) 60
Chemical Products Design and Development 15
Multi-Scale Modelling and Simulation 30
Advanced Reaction Engineering 15
Advances in Chemical Engineering 15

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

Module Name Credits
Nuclear Operations 15
Energy Management and Conservation 15
Fuel Processing 15
Materials Structures and Characterisation 15
Nanomaterials 15

Want to find out more about your modules?

Take a look at the Advanced Chemical Engineering module descriptions for more detail on what you could study.

Learning and teaching

We use a variety of teaching and learning methods including lectures, practicals, tutorials and seminars. Independent study is also an important element of the course, as you develop your problem-solving and research skills as well as your subject knowledge.

Specialist facilities

We have UK-leading facilities for carrying out research in manufacturing (including crystallisation), processing and characterising particulate systems for a wide range of technological materials, as well as facilities for nanotechnology and colloid engineering.

We also have high-performance computing facilities and state-of-the-art computer software, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD), for modelling and simulation of a wide range of processes. This provides students with strong background knowledge in industrial process and equipment design and optimisation.

Programme team

The Programme Leader, Dr Tariq Mahmud, is an Associate Professor whose research interests include chemical process modelling and simulation, the synthesis of particulate product materials, and carbon capture and advanced H2 production processes. Dr Mahmud has led a number of projects in these areas funded by the UK research councils and industries including Pfizer, AstraZeneca, National Nuclear Laboratories, P&G and Syngenta.

The wider programme team has broad and extensive experience across a range of chemical and process engineering disciplines.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

You’ll be assessed using a range of techniques including problem sheets, technical reports, presentations, in-class tests, assignments and exams. Optional modules may also use alternative assessments.

Applying

Entry requirements

Applicants with a high 2.2 will be considered on an individual basis where they can demonstrate competence in specific modules and/or with relevant professional industrial experience.

We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For more information please contact the Admissions Team.

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Engineering (6 weeks) and Language for Science: Engineering (10 weeks)

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Application deadlines

Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

30 June 2024 – International applicants

8 September 2024 – UK applicants

Click below to access the University’s online application system and find out more about the application process.

If you're still unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

The UK Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) operates a scheme called the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS). If you are an international (non-EU/EEA or Swiss citizen) applicant and require a student visa to study in the UK then you will need an ATAS certificate to study this course at the University of Leeds.

To apply for an ATAS certificate online, you will need your programme details and the relevant Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code and descriptor. For this course, the CAH code is: CAH10-01-09 and the descriptor is Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering. Your supervisor will be Dr Tariq Mahmud.

More information and details on how to apply for your ATAS certificate can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/academic-technology-approval-scheme.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Chemical and Process Engineering

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions Team – Masters courses

Email: pgchemical@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £13,750 (Total)

International: £31,000 (Total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

Career opportunities

Chemical engineering is an ever-evolving discipline which is constantly moving with the times — and the career opportunities are far-reaching in the chemical and allied industries.

As we move toward a more technologically advanced and sustainable future, the demand for skilled engineers will continue to grow — which is why studying an IChemE-accredited MSc in advanced chemical engineering will give you the specialist skills and knowledge sought after by a wide range of employers in industry.

Plus, the University of Leeds is in the top 10 most targeted universities in the UK by graduate recruiters, according to High Fliers’ The Graduate Market in 2023 report.

Our graduates from this course have secured positions at companies such as:

• Manufacturing Engineer, Akzo Nobel India
  • Senior Process Engineer, Evonik Industries
  • Commissioning Inspection Engineer, Origin Energy
  • Chemical Engineer, Methode Electronics
  • Process Engineer, Syngenta
  • Support Engineer, Heineken
  • Project Manager, Procter & Gamble
  • Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) Consultant, Tilone Subsea Limited
  • Process Engineer, NNPC
  • Project Planning Engineer, Hyundai Heavy Industries

Careers support

At Leeds, we help you to prepare for your future from day one. We have a wide range of careers resources — including our award-winning Employability team who are in contact with many employers around the country and advertise placements and jobs. They are also on hand to provide guidance and support through the whole job application process, ensuring you are prepared to take your next steps after graduation and get you where you want to be.

• Employability events — we run a full range of events including careers fairs in specialist areas and across broader industries — all with employers who are actively recruiting for roles. 
  • MyCareer system — on your course and after you graduate, you’ll have access to a dedicated careers portal where you can book appointments with our team, get information on careers and see job vacancies and upcoming events.
  • Qualified careers consultants — gain guidance, support and information to help you choose a career path. You’ll have access to 1-2-1 meetings and events to learn how to find employers to target, write your CV and cover letter, research before interviews and brush up on your interview skills.
  • Opportunities at Leeds — there are plenty of exciting opportunities offered by our Leeds University Union, including volunteering and over 300 clubs and societies to get involved in.

Find out more about career support.