Molecular Medicine MSc

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2024
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a relevant subject
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.0 in writing and no less than 6.5 in all other components
UK fees
£13,500 (Total)
International fees
£29,500 (Total)

Course overview

A Molecular Medicine student undertaking  research project as part of her Masters degree

Develop as a scientist or scientifically-literate clinician and study molecular approaches to the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of a range of cancer, chronic, autoimmune and genetic diseases.

Be part of our world-renowned School of Medicine and learn from internationally recognised scholars. Our flexible course allows you to develop core scientific skills and follow your professional interests with a choice of optional modules. You’ll also carry out a research project as part of an innovative research group with supervision from academics and clinicians working on cutting-edge research.

• Engage in research projects using the latest technologies to generate scientifically impactful results to improve human health.
  • Access research opportunities in Applied Health Research, Cancer and Pathology, Cardiovascular, Genes and Development and Musculoskeletal Research.
  • Work as part of a research team in a cutting-edge discipline.
  • Choose optional modules to reflect your personal and professional interests.

Course details

Build core scientific skills through four compulsory modules studied over two terms. Alongside these, your optional modules (two each term) allow you to tailor your study to your interests. These include:

• Immunity and disease.
  • Human molecular genetics.
  • Cancer biology and molecular oncology.

Our modules typically last 11 weeks and allow you to:

• Gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the principles, application and potential of molecular medicine.
  • Learn techniques in the field of molecular biology, immunology, cell biology and chemistry.
  • Develop the ability to carry out molecular, biological and bioinformatics research for investigation of human diseases.
  • Critically evaluate current issues in molecular medicine, translate research findings into clinical applications, and recognise commercial opportunities.

Research project

Based in the research laboratories within the Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James’s or on the main University campus, you’ll spend approximately four months on your individual research project. This usually runs from April to August. The research project allows you to work as part of a research team across a cutting-edge discipline. You’ll also spend two months developing your research proposal and learning laboratory skills in the ‘Preparing for the Research Project’ module in January and February.

At Leeds, you’ll have the choice of a range of research opportunities in Applied Health Research, Cancer and Pathology, Cardiovascular, Genes and Development and Musculoskeletal Research.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Molecular Medicine MSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Research Informatics and Dissemination 15
Methods in Biomedical Research 15
Preparing for the Research Project 15
Research Project 75

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

Module Name Credits
Introduction to Genetic Epidemiology 15
Human Molecular Genetics 15
Immunity and Disease 15
Animal Models of Disease 15
Stem Cell Biology: A Genomics and Systems Biology Approach to Haematopoiesis 15
Cancer Biology and Molecular Oncology 15

Learning and teaching

Rated as 'intellectually stimulating' by our graduates, you’ll be taught by active scientists and clinicians who are world-leading in their research fields via lectures, workshops, laboratory practicals, seminars and tutorials.

Teaching is mainly at St James's University Hospital, a busy research facility with research laboratories and a teaching laboratory, computer cluster, library and meeting rooms.

We encourage you to participate in the School of Medicine Institutes’ activities, such as the invited speaker seminar series. You also have access to all the wider University of Leeds facilities.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

A major objective of the course is to train you to formulate your own ideas and express them logically, and this will be tested in every module assessment.

A typical module will be assessed by two assignments. Assessments include written assignments, as well as delivering presentations and posters, and leading discussions.

The MSc course comprises 180 credits. However, you may choose to exit the programme at an earlier stage with a PG Diploma (120 credits).

Applying

Entry requirements

A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) minimum in a relevant subject (biomedicine, medicine, biological sciences or possibly natural sciences) or equivalent qualification.

This course is also available as an intercalated programme to students who have completed three years of a UK medical degree and are normally ranked in the top 50% of their year of study. Read more at Intercalation.

Students taking this course as an intercalated degree are subject to different deadlines of application. Find out more about applying to intercalate.

English language requirements

IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.0 in writing and no less than 6.5 in all other components. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Science (6 weeks) and Language for Science: General Science (10 weeks)

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Application deadlines:

• 31 July 2024 (international applicants).
  • 26 August 2024 (UK applicants).

Applications are considered on the basis of the applicant’s qualifications and experience. Applications may close before the deadline date if numbers accepted reach capacity.

Documents and references you’ll need:

• One reference is required at the point of application. If you are a recent graduate, the reference should be an academic referee. The reference should be provided on a headed document with either a stamp from the institution or an electronic signature.
  • A CV, including details of relevant experience through employment or education, and of research projects you have undertaken to date.

The ‘Apply’ link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Documents and information you’ll need

• Transcript of the qualifications you are relying on for entry. If these are not in English, they must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • Contact details of at least two referees. If you are a recent graduate, at least one should be an academic referee.
  • A CV including the list of research projects you have undertaken to date.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

School of Medicine Taught Postgraduate Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Medicine

Contact us

School of Medicine Postgraduate Admissions

Email: pgmed-admissions@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £13,500 (Total)

International: £29,500 (Total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

MSc Molecular Medicine Leeds Intercalating scholarship

£1,500 tuition fee waiver.

Students must:

• Be an UK, EU or International University of Leeds undergraduate medical student in year 3 or 4 who accepted an unconditional offer to intercalate full-time on the MSc Molecular Medicine.

• Applicants with at least a B in their Year 2 Integrated Summative Examination and at least a B in their Year 3 Integrated Summative Examination will be considered.

• The scholarship will be attributed to the student with the best academic grades (Year 1 to 3 combined). In case of equal academic achievement between students, the scholarship will be divided equally between them.

There is no application process

• Leeds intercalating students will be automatically considered by the MSc Molecular Medicine Programme Management team as soon as they accept the unconditional offer of a place in the MSc Molecular Medicine.

Other funding options

Studying in the School of Medicine at Leeds is an amazing opportunity, but we know that the cost can be difficult for many people to meet. If you are keen to join us, a range of funding opportunities are available.

Career opportunities

97% of our recent Molecular Medicine graduates feel they've taken meaningful next steps since university.

This exciting course provides excellent training for:

• Science graduates looking for an opportunity to pursue a career in industry, clinical service or a related discipline, go on to do doctoral research or enter academic medicine.
  • Clinicians interested in a clinical academic career.

Many of our past students are now doing PhDs across the UK or internationally. Some are working in NGOs or in the industry. Talented graduates from the MSc will be strongly supported to join PhD programmes in the institutes here at the University.

The MSc Molecular Medicine is the ideal preparation for those intending to secure clinical fellowships.

Careers support

We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers.

The Careers Centre and staff in your faculty provide a range of help and advice to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions along the way, even after you graduate. Find out more about Careers support.