Biotechnology with Business Enterprise MSc

Year of entry

Postgraduate Virtual Open Day

Wednesday 15 February. Find out more

Start date
September 2022
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons)
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in all components
UK fees
£11,500 (total)
International fees
£25,750 (total)

Course overview

Female scientist making a presentation on team meeting

Transform the world by turning scientific discoveries into commercial products

This business-focused biotechnology Masters programme has been designed to tackle the enterprise skills gap in the bioscience graduate jobs market. Hosted by the Faculty of Biological Sciences and run jointly with Leeds University Business School, this interdisciplinary Masters integrates business components to translate scientific research breakthroughs into enterprise ventures with commercial application.

You’ll learn key theoretical knowledge whilst being given the opportunity to gain practical hands-on experience in our leading-edge facilities. This will not only equip you with a cutting-edge scientific understanding, but also with the skills necessary to turn lab-based inventions and knowledge into ‘impact’ in the form of commercial enterprises and socially useful products. You will also have the highly sought-after skills to enter knowledge transfer, business development, intellectual property and technology transfer functions within the biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and molecular bioscience industries. Alternatively, graduates of the programme may choose to conduct research at PhD level and subsequently create their own new business ventures.

This programme is open to a diverse range of students who have backgrounds in biology, biochemistry, health, natural sciences, medicinal chemistry and bioengineering.

Course highlights

• Interdisciplinary learning with business components taught by the renowned Leeds University Business School.

• Commercially-focussed Masters developed to enhance transferable and entrepreneurial skills, highly sought-after by industry.

• Gain the intellectual property (IP), translational and commercialisation skills to develop your own business ventures based on ideas created at the laboratory bench.

• Learn entrepreneurial skills to transform the world by solving problems and develop leadership skills to communicate and manage change.

• Gain support and advice with starting your own business from Spark.

Course details

Modules will be taught approximately 60% by the Faculty of Biological Sciences and 40% by Leeds University Business School.

Semester 1 & 2

The core biotechnology topics will introduce you to modern biopharmaceutical drug discovery and development, and the commercialisation of pharmaceuticals. You’ll learn the essentials of small and large molecule processes, medical, societal and economic drivers, and basics of GLP/GCP/GMP manufacturing. You’ll also undertake a protein engineering lab project which will provide you with practical training in a fundamental range of experimental techniques.

The enterprise topics will establish a detailed understanding of intellectual property (IP) considerations; then develop the foundational understanding for commercial enterprise, entrepreneurship and the creation of a new business.

Semester 2

You’ll develop a research project proposal and continue to learn about the mechanics of establishing a new business venture, whilst able to select from a wide range of optional topics such as practical bioinformatics, treatment of infectious disease and cancer and medical diagnostics. Each optional module has been carefully chosen to allow you to broaden your knowledge, and have an impact in a variety of areas. For example, you could study plant biotechnology, giving you additional knowledge to have an impact in the areas of sustainable agriculture and food security.

Semester 3

In the final semester we’ll give you the opportunity to undertake either a practical lab-based or literature independent research project. You’ll utilise the techniques and skills learned during your time at Leeds, which will culminate in you demonstrating your readiness for employment in the diverse field of biotechnology.

Unfortunately, due to current circumstances, we can no longer promise the options of the industrial work placement or the group enterprise project. We can however still promise the option of the independent research project. Our offer on the programme is therefore now changed to reflect this position, you only have the option of the independent research project in Semester 3.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Biotechnology with Business Enterprise MSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Drug Discovery and Development Pathways 5
Commercialising pharmaceutical products 10
MSc Bioscience Research Project Proposal 5
Protein Engineering Laboratory Project 15
New Venture Creation 15
Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Creation 15

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

Module Name Credits
Practical Bioinformatics 10
Plant Biotechnology 10
Medical Diagnostics 10
Treatment of Infectious Disease and Cancer 10
Research Planning and Scientific Communication 10
Bioscience MSc Research Project 80
Global Perspectives on Enterprise 15
Enterprise and Society 15
Critical Entrepreneurship Studies 15

Learning and teaching

You’ll have access to the very best learning resources and academic support during your studies.

Your learning will be heavily influenced by the University’s world-leading research as well as our strong links with highly qualified professionals from industry, non-governmental organisations and charities.

You’ll experience a wide range of teaching methods including encompassing lectures, guest seminars, tutorial/workshop sessions, data analysis sessions, group flash presentations by students, laboratory practicals and demonstrations.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

Assessment will employ a range of approaches, varying by module, and will include: data analysis, essays, oral presentations (individual and group), peer assessment, reports, and end-of-module tests. Research projects and placements will be assessed by means of a written proposal, dissertation/thesis, and an oral presentation/viva voce.

Applying

Entry requirements

Applicants should normally have a bachelor’s degree with at least a 2:1 honours or equivalent in a relevant subject such as: Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Pharmacology, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering, Natural Sciences,

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in all components.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Science (6 weeks) and Language for Science: General Science (10 weeks)

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. You could study a part-time online course starting in January, or a full-time course in summer. Find out more about online pre-sessionals.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

The link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Interviews

It is standard procedure to interview applicants, prior to making a decision on their application, for MRes Neuroscience, MSc Biopharmaceutical Development (Industrial) and MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine. Interviews do not form part of the standard admissions process for other programmes in the Faculty of Biological Sciences.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2023

Contact us

Faculty of Biological Sciences postgraduate taught admissions team

Email: fbspgt@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £11,500 (total)

International: £25,750 (total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more about additional costs.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

Career opportunities

With an emerging focus on biotechnology and the need for products to have a greater societal impact, this programme will equip you with the knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes to successfully translate biotechnology ideas into new commercial ventures. Skills in this areas are highly sought after by employers due to the unique attributes graduates will gain.

Throughout the programme, opportunites for networking with other Masters cohorts will be maximised to aid knowledge sharing.

The strong research element of this course, along with the specialist and generic skills you’ll develop, mean you’ll graduate equipped for a diverse range of careers.

Links with industry

We have a proactive Industrial Advisory Board who advise us on what they look for in graduates and on employability-related skills within our programmes.

We collaborate with a wide range of organisations in the public and commercial sectors. Many of these are represented on our Industrial Advisory Board. They include:

• Labcorp (formerly Covance)  

• European Bioinformatics Institute

• Astra Zeneca

• Gowling WLG LLP

• Qiagen

• PWC

• Barnsley Hospital (NHS)

• IAOCR

• ApotheCom 

• GlaxoSmithKline

Professional and career development

We take personal and career development very seriously. We have a proactive Industrial Advisory Board who advises us on what they look for in graduates and on employability related skills within our courses.

Our dedicated Employability and Professional Development Officer will ensure that you’re aware of events and opportunities to increase your employability. In addition, our Masters career development programme will support you to:

• Explore career options and career planning.

• Understand the PhD application process and optimise PhD application.

• Learn how to use LinkedIn and other social media for effective networking and career opportunities.

• Practice interviews for both job and PhD applications.

You’ll also have access to seminars and presentations from industry professionals (including our alumni) at faculty led career events. We also have regular research seminars presented by leading academics from around the world on their specialist subjects.