Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages MA

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2023
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree from a recognised university, plus two years of teaching experience.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
UK fees
To be confirmed
International fees
To be confirmed
This course is taught in
China

Course overview

Two students in a cafe area

This programme is studied entirely in China. It is jointly delivered by the University of Leeds and Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, and allows experienced Chinese TESOL professionals to gain a deeper understanding of how languages are learned and the strategies used to teach and assess them.

You will explore current insights, issues and problems within TESOL, and assess the theoretical frameworks for the language learning, teaching and testing processes. You will have the opportunity to appraise the procedures and outcomes of different approaches to pedagogy and evaluation in TESOL, and the ability to explore how such issues and frameworks relate to your own professional environment.

You’ll study four core modules exploring current theories of language acquisition, the complex context in which any language learning takes place, different approaches to and strategies for TESOL, and current theories and practices around language assessment.

You’ll be taught at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies by tutors from both universities and be registered as a full-time student at Leeds, giving you access to all of our online library resources as well as those available at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. The programme is taught from Friday evenings to Sunday afternoons, to enable serving teachers to enrol; however, it is a full-time Master’s degree and demands a considerable amount of independent study.

As a large team of education practitioners, we have a wide range of experience of teaching and teacher education work in many contexts in the UK and around the world. As researchers, we have a broad range of expertise across the discipline with ongoing research projects in teacher development, language learning motivation, curriculum reform and values-based teaching.

This programme is not suitable for those without professional TESOL experience.

Course details

This programme is jointly delivered and has been designed by academic staff from both the University of Leeds and Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.

All teaching and learning is influenced by the context in which it occurs. The programme begins by considering the components of an educational context, from visible features of the classroom to the less visible but influential educational norms that affect teacher and learner roles and behaviours.

You then explore current theoretical models of language acquisition, and consider the ways in which people learn, or acquire a second language. The course continues by deepening your understanding of learning and teaching integrated skills in TESOL, focusing explicitly on oral and written language processing and their implications for different teaching and learning activities. You’ll use this knowledge to design, adapt and evaluate language learning tasks, and to think carefully about methods of assessment that will be appropriate for your working context.

At every stage of the course, you’ll develop your research skills and think about the relationship between research and TESOL practice. You’ll demonstrate this awareness when you complete your dissertation: an intensive, small-scale, research project related to your own interests in TESOL education.

In March of the year after you successfully complete the programme, you’ll receive a MA TESOL degree from the University of Leeds at a graduation ceremony in Guangzhou.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages MA in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Dissertation 60
Approaches and Contexts in TESOL 30
Introduction to Second Language Acquisition 30
Teaching Oral and Written Skills for TESOL 30
Language Testing 30

Learning and teaching

This course is taught face-to-face at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies with two modules taught by tutors from each university. You’ll experience a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars, discussions, small group tasks and presentations, and extra study support will be available online through the University of Leeds’ Virtual Learning Environment. Independent study is also an important part of this programme.

Please note that the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic may prevent staff from the University of Leeds from travelling to China, in which case their modules will be taught online during Semester 2.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

All modules are assessed by written assignments of up to 6000 words, and you’ll be encouraged to write on topics that are directly relevant to your own professional context. The dissertation is around 12,000 words. All your assignments will be submitted online through the University of Leeds’ Virtual Learning Environment.

Applying

Entry requirements

A bachelor degree (hons) with a 2:1 or non-UK equivalent, plus at least two years of relevant teaching experience. The programme is not suitable for those without professional TESOL experience.

English language requirements

IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

How to apply

Apply directly to Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (please note this link takes you to a web page in the local language of Guangdong University).

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Education

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions

Email: pgeduc@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: To be confirmed

International: To be confirmed

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

You can find out more about funding and scholarships for this course on the Guangdong University of Foreign Studies website (please note this link takes you to a web page in the local language of Guangdong University).

Career opportunities

You’ll gain a range of knowledge and skills from this programme that could make a big difference to your career prospects. Many of our graduates become candidates for promotion thanks to their greater expertise. Some find new jobs in different institutions or in other parts of the country. Others have progressed to PhD level study at institutions in China, Hong Kong and the UK.