Intercalated Degree in International Health BSc

Year of entry

Register your interest for Open Days 2024

Bookings for our 2024 Open Days are not open, but you can sign up to be informed once dates are announced. Register your interest

Start date
September 2024
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
1 year full time

Course overview

international health

Our popular research field trip will allow you to go to low- or middle-income countries to conduct your own fieldwork project (subject to any government and University of Leeds COVID restrictions).

The study of International Health prepares you to act as a global ambassador and leader in a challenging medical environment. Our popular research field trip will allow you to go to middle or low income countries to conduct your own fieldwork project.

The degree provides you with opportunities to explore and engage with issues of global health, healthcare delivery and health policy. You will develop the critical and analytical skills to assess, implement and evaluate health and healthcare interventions in your future medical career.

You will be taught and supervised by world leading experts in the field of international health and development, and thus benefit from the latest cutting-edge research.

On successful completion of the programme you will have:

• Appreciate the complexities of global health issues and the determinants of health

• Explore and explain intra-country, inter-country and inter-regional differences in health and healthcare

• Consider the interactions between high-income and low- and middle-income countries with reference to health and wellbeing

• Conduct rigorous reviews of academic literature in an emerging or established area of international health

• Conduct primary research, an in-depth understanding of a particular aspect of international health modules

• Demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills in conducting research in other cultures and health systems

International Health and Development Experts

The Intercalated BSc in International Health is taught by international health and development experts from the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development, which also offers a portfolio of postgraduate programmes in International Health and Development.

the international health intercalation degree is offered to mbchb medics at the university of leeds

Course details

The programme consists of 8 modules providing an excellent insight into international health.

• Two modules providing a foundation in international health: Health Policy and Development, Health Systems in Low-& Middle-Income Countries

• Three topic modules covering the main health challenges in low to middle income countries: Communicable Disease Control, Non-communicable Diseases, Maternal, Reproductive and Child Health

• Three modules which prepare the student for conducting research: Project A (Literature Review), Research Methods, Project B (Research Project).

What’s so special about the programme?

We provide you with excellent support so you can achieve your full potential, including an induction programme which covers core skills in international health, critical thinking and literature review skills.

You will be based in the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development. The Nuffield Centre is a research active centre and our work informs our teaching. Our focus is on public health care delivery, and, to a lesser extent on healthcare delivery by non-governmental organisations (the voluntary sector). Issues around the relationship between these two sectors and the private sector are considered during the course.

The Nuffield Centre has a long standing reputation in international health and we are a World Health Organization Collaborative Centre. It’s a highly supportive environment and we encourage all our students to achieve their potential.

The BSc International Health is one of the oldest and most well established programmes in International Health and the programme is delivered by world specialists.

The research project is an incredible opportunity to pursue your own interests –many of our students choose to carry out their project overseas.

‘…the course offers the ability to delve into a personal interest of yours and to perform research in a low or middle income country- research that may potentially help in that field. For example I was fortunate enough to visit India to explore and research my interest in generic medicines. This fantastic opportunity is something I cannot recommend enough...’ Harvir Braich, BSc International Health, 2014-15

Who will I be studying with?

You will be studying alongside medical students from Leeds and elsewhere. However, you will also be mixing with health professionals from all over the world who are here to study our other Nuffield programmes, so you can hear about their experiences first-hand.

Research/ Fieldwork Project

You will have the option of doing field work overseas (subject to any government and University of Leeds COVID restrictions), gaining experience of research design, risk assessment, research ethics, data collection and analysis.

The benefits of this course include being able to travel and conduct primary research abroad and also integrate into a different university for a year. The course has students from lots of different medical schools, as well as students from dental and veterinary schools, and it allows you to make new friends easily.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Intercalated Degree in International Health BSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Project A 20
Project B 20
Research Methods Module 10
Communicable Disease Control 10
Health Policy and Development 20
Maternal, Reproductive and Child Health Module 10
Global Patterns of Non-Communicable Diseases 10
Health Systems in Low and Middle Income Countries 20

Learning and teaching

Teaching is delivered in lectures, group work, seminars and tutorials. One to one meetings with project supervisors will support you in developing your ideas for Project A.

Facilities

You will have full access the University of Leeds libraries, which include group study areas and spaces for private study. Much of the course material is provided through the Virtual Learning Environment, which can be accessed remotely, as well as on site. IT facilities have recently been updated and lecturers have access to high quality audio-visual equipment. Student support services are available through the course of study via the University's Student Services Centre.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

The programme is assessed throughout the year, using a variety of assessment methods to reflect activities you will encounter as a global health researcher/practitioner in the future. These include individual and group work, poster presentations, essays, literature reviews and a research project report. There is no exam.

Entry requirements

Other course specific tests:

Successful completion of the first two years of an MBChB programme at UK Universities or international equivalent.

For international students proof of English Language proficiency will be required. In line with undergraduate medicine we require a minimum of English GCSE grade B or IELTS 7.5.

Fees

UK: £9,250 (per year)

International: £44,000 (per year)

Tuition fees for UK undergraduate students starting in 2024/25
Tuition fees for UK full-time undergraduate students are set by the UK Government and will be £9,250 for students starting in 2024/25.

The fee may increase in future years of your course in line with inflation only, as a consequence of future changes in Government legislation and as permitted by law.

Tuition fees for UK undergraduate students starting in 2025/26
Tuition fees for UK full-time undergraduate students starting in 2025/26 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. When the fee is available we will update individual course pages.

Tuition fees for international undergraduate students starting in 2024/25 and 2025/26
Tuition fees for international students for 2024/25 are available on individual course pages. Fees for students starting in 2025/26 will be available from September 2024.

Read more about paying fees and charges.

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

Read about possible financial support for intercalation on the School of Medicine website.

Applying

Read about applying for intercalation on the School of Medicine website.

All Leeds medical/dental students wishing to intercalate at Leeds University must complete the relevant application form indicating a first, second and third choice of programme.

Medical students from other universities may apply for entry to this programme by contacting intercalate@leeds.ac.uk in the first instance.

Selection principles

The personal statement should demonstrate interest and enthusiasm in international health. In addition the statement should provide evidence of the following: curricular and extra-curricular engagement with international health; awareness of health care system issues in international health; awareness of wider health system issues in international health.

This course is taught by

School of Medicine

Contact us

LIHS Admissions

Email: InternationalHealth@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Career opportunities

The Nuffield Centre has established a large alumni network of health health professionals holding senior positions around the world.

A number of our students go on to publish their research results or present at conferences, and many intercalating students find success on this programme helps in their future careers.