Society, Culture and Media MA

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2023
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a social science, humanities, or related discipline.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
UK fees
£11,250 (total)
International fees
£24,750 (total)

Course overview

two students chatting together

This interdisciplinary programme will allow you to benefit from the expertise of both the School of Sociology and Social Policy and the School of Media and Communication, enabling you to gain an in-depth understanding of key issues, debates and theoretical perspectives, and to critically analyse the relationship between culture, media and society.

Taught by leading researchers in the field, this programme covers key issues and concepts such as media and social media; consumption; audiences; representation; globalisation; migration and place; tourism; inequality; creative work and material culture. Through its grounding in sociological approaches to the study of culture and media, a concern with questions of power, inequality and identity will be threaded through the course, enabling you to think critically about the relationship between gender, class, race and ethnicity, and the cultural realm.

In addition to developing specialist knowledge in the field, you will also acquire key transferable skills in research, communication, analytical skills, self-management and group working, which will open up a range of career pathways within the media and creative industries and beyond.

Highlights

• Benefit from the expertise of both the School of Sociology and Social Policy and the School of Media and Communication.
  • Gain specialist knowledge in the areas of consumption, traditional media and social media, globalisation, representation, popular culture and more.
  • Tailor the programme according to your interests with optional modules which cover journalism, promotional communication, videogames, digital resistance and reality TV.
  • Develop transferable skills including research, analysis, group work and communication.
  • Prepare for careers in academia, communications and media policy, creative industries, media market, audience research and others.

Course details

Compulsory modules will provide a solid grounding in key sociological theories for the study of society, culture and media, and methodological debates and approaches.

In addition, you will have the opportunity to choose from a range of optional modules delivered by various Schools (Sociology and Social Policy, Media and Communication, Politics and International Studies, and Geography), enabling you to tailor the programme to pursue your specialist interests.

The final dissertation project will allow you to design, develop and implement your own critical research enquiry into an aspect of culture and media.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Society, Culture and Media MA in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Sociology of Media and Culture 30
Researching Inequality in the Media 30
Approaches and Methods for Media and Culture 30
Dissertation 60

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

You will also choose 30 credits from the below:

Module Name Credits
Communication and Public Opinion 30
Journalism Practice and Policy 30
Identity and Culture 30
The Cultural History of Promotional Communication 30
Engaging the Modern City: The Civic Researcher 30
Popular Culture: World politics, Society and Culture 30
Politics, Media and Democratic Engagement 30
Technology, Media and Politics: Research and Real World Cases 30
Racism, Decoloniality and Migration 30
Reality TV: Truth or Fiction? 30
Videogames and Society 30

Learning and teaching

We use a variety of teaching and learning methods to help you make the most of your studies. These will include guest lectures, seminars, presentations, group work, online learning and independent critical enquiry.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

Assessment will include a series of short quizzes, a group project, an essay and a dissertation.

Applying

Entry requirements

A bachelor degree (hons) with a 2:1 or non-UK equivalent in a social sciences, humanities or related discipline.

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Politics and Society (6 weeks) and Language for Social Sciences and Arts: Politics and Society (10 weeks).

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

We operate a staged admissions process for this course, with selection deadlines throughout the year.

If you do not receive an offer in a particular stage, you will be notified that your application has been either unsuccessful or carried forward to be considered in the next stage.

Please see our How to Apply page for full details and the application deadlines for each stage.

If you require a decision earlier than the dates listed in order to meet a scholarship deadline, please notify us through the My Enquiries section of the application portal once you have applied.

The ‘Apply’ link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Documents and information we will need include:

• Original or certified copies of your transcripts
  • Original or certified copies of your degree certificate
  • Original or certified copy of your IELTS/TOEFL results (if English is not your first language)

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Sociology and Social Policy
School of Media and Communication

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions Office

Email: pgssp@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £11,250 (total)

International: £24,750 (total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

The School of Sociology and Social Policy usually offers a number of scholarships each year. Find out more on the School's scholarships page.

Career opportunities

The combined nature of the programme will equip you with key transferable skills and the specialist knowledge required to pursue a career in sociology or media and culture. The national and international growth of the media and creative industries has sparked greater demand for graduates who possess advanced skills and knowledge in the field, opening opportunities in communications and media policy, PR, social and digital media, media markets and audience research or other cultural and creative industries.

Additionally, the sociology element of the programme will allow you to apply your knowledge and skills in fields such as education, statutory and voluntary agencies, NGOs (non-governmental organisations), INGOs (international non-governmental agencies) and charities.

The programme also provides a basis for progression onto a PhD in sociology and media studies, and a strong grounding for an interdisciplinary PhD.

Careers support

We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers.

The Careers Centre and staff in your faculty provide a range of help and advice to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions along the way, even after you graduate. Find out more about Careers support.