Global Fashion Management MA

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2023
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or equivalent qualification.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
UK fees
£14,500 (total)
International fees
£27,500 (total)

Course overview

Students discussing work in fashion studio

Please refer to our deadline information before submitting an application to this course.

This course has been developed in consultation with leading fashion retailers and represents a new direction in the integration of fashion retail management, fashion marketing, international consumer behaviour and supply chain planning.

You'll engage with a unique blend of numerical management skills, master analytical tools and customer marketing techniques in order to understand and shape global retail operations.

The course structure allows you to study at both the internationally renowned School of Design and Leeds University Business School, one of the top departments of its kind in the world. This means you'll have the opportunity to gain the varied knowledge and skills needed for a managerial career in the exciting, dynamic and internationally-oriented fashion sector.

Specialist facilities

The School of Design has excellent facilities to enhance teaching and research. We recently invested over £4 million in new laboratories, exhibition areas and student spaces, as well as new facilities with the latest technology for weaving, knitting, digital printing, coloration and colour communication. You’ll be able to develop your practice in well-equipped studios and purpose-built computer clusters so you can build your skills on both PC and Mac as well as computer-aided design (CAD) software.

We also have an impressive range of resources you can use for research. We house the M&S Company Archive including documents, advertising, photos, films, clothing and merchandise from throughout Marks & Spencer’s history, offering a fascinating insight into the changing nature of our culture over time.

Course details

The cultural reception, dissemination, promotion and eventual disposal of a fashion product within international markets involves an astoundingly complex chain of activities. This programme allows you to develop a unique blend of management skills, master analytical tools and customer marketing techniques in order to understand and shape global retail operations.

You’ll study six compulsory modules in total, covering fashion marketing, retailing and a specialised fashion dissertation in the School of Design, and the management of logistics, supply chains and understanding global consumers in Leeds University Business School. You’ll also study two from a selection of fashion-based optional modules, allowing you the flexibility to specialise in an area of your choice.

The Programme Leader for this course is Dr Yuri Siregar.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Global Fashion Management MA in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Dissertation 60
Research Methods and Analysis 15
Global Fashion Retail Management 30
Managing Global Logistics and Supply Chains 15
Operations and Supply Chain Management 15
Cross-Cultural Consumer Psychology 15

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

Module Name Credits
Fashion Marketing 15
Fashion Industry Analysis 15
Sustainability and Fashion 15
Internationalisation in the Fashion Industry Context 15
Data Analytics in Fashion Marketing-Global Fashion Management 15
Textile Product Design, Innovation and Development 15

Learning and teaching

This programme employs a variety of learning and teaching methods including lectures, seminars, tutorials and group discussions. The modules will utilise methods of learning, teaching and assessment which are appropriate to Masters level study, such as group discussions, presentations, and report writing. Although a proportion of the contact time will be spent in teaching, emphasis will also be placed upon the use of group and independent learning. Discussion and interactive sessions will encourage you to critically examine key elements of fashion retail and management further. You will have the opportunity to hear from external academic and professional speakers from the fashion and retail business world, and it may be possible to participate in retail colloquiums.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

You'll be assessed by a variety of methods. Assessment on the programme is designed to be an integral part of the learning process, allowing you to enhance and confirm your knowledge and practice. Formative feedback will be provided through a combination of self-reflection, peer group and tutor feedback. Summative assessments will provide a measure of the extent to which you have achieved the learning outcomes of the modules.

Assessment within the modules will take various forms including: coursework assignments, reports, group work, presentations, examinations and the dissertation. You are encouraged to consider and discuss your work in tutorials using multiple assessment criteria related to modules Including, originality and appropriateness of concepts and treatments, communication strategy, project management, organisation, comprehension and professionalism.

Applying

Entry requirements

You’ll need a bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or equivalent qualification specialising in one the following subjects: fashion, management, business, textiles, social psychology, economics.

This course includes a significant amount of quantitative analytical content, and we will give preference to applicants from these subject areas who have studied modules in a quantitative subject, or have undertaken quantitative research, either as part of their degree course or in the course of their industrial career to date – and who have indicated this in the supporting statement section of their application.

You’ll also be required to respond to the questions in the supporting statement section of the online application form.

Please note that meeting the entry requirements of this course doesn't guarantee an offer of a place.

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Business Management and Enterprise (6 weeks) and Language for Business: Business Management and Enterprise (10 weeks).

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Application deadline:

We operate a staged admissions process for our courses, with selection deadlines throughout the year.

If you do not receive an offer at a particular stage in the process, you will be either notified that your application has been unsuccessful, or that is has been carried forward to be considered at the next stage.

Please see our How to Apply page for full details and the application deadlines for each stage.

The ‘Apply’ link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Documents and information you’ll need

• A copy of your degree certificate and transcripts, or a partial transcript if you’re still studying (including an official English translation if necessary)
  • A personal statement in response to the questions asked in the supporting statement section of the application form, which explains why you wish to study this particular course and your future career plans
  • Evidence of your English language qualifications, if English is not your first language

Next steps

Applicants may be invited to attend an interview with the programme manager either by phone, Skype or in person.

The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures receives very large numbers of high-quality applications and regrets that it cannot make offers to all of its applicants. Some particularly popular schools may have to reject many that hold the necessary academic qualifications.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Design
Leeds University Business School

Contact us

Postgraduate Administrator

Email: PGT-Admissions-Design@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £14,500 (total)

International: £27,500 (total)

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Read more about paying fees and charges.

Part-time fees
Fees for part-time courses are normally calculated based on the number of credits you study in a year compared to the equivalent full-time course. For example, if you study half the course credits in a year, you will pay half the full-time course fees for that year.

Additional cost information

Computers and digital equipment

To ensure you can make the most of your studies at Leeds, you’ll need to make sure your laptop meets the system requirements for your course.

Some of our courses require the development of work using Adobe Creative and other relevant software. As/if required by your programme, the School will provide you with a free Adobe CC account when you arrive. We also use a blended learning model where you’ll need to access course materials and video conference using a computer or mobile device (eg laptop, tablet, smartphone). Costs for a laptop will vary depending on the exact specification. You should expect to pay between £500 - £2,500. You might also consider buying an external drive to back-up your work on a regular basis, which may incur another additional £50 - £150. Alternatively you can choose to store your work using cloud storage or your personal M:Drive, provided by the University.

If you’re buying a new laptop for your studies, then we recommend that you wait until you’re registered as a student so that you take advantage of discounts given to university students.Delaying purchasing also allows you to find out from your programme leader what you need and what you do not need. Depending on your circumstances you can benefit from a laptop loan or further support from our Financial Assistance Fund.

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

Career opportunities

Flexibility, resilience and transferable skills are desirable attributes for creative industry professionals. In the School of Design, as well as providing you with research led, industry informed subject-specific knowledge, we aim to equip you with the best possible skills for a variety of future careers. Design thinking, combined with excellent research and criticality skills are increasingly valued across a wide range of sectors; therefore, your degree from the University of Leeds opens opportunities across disciplines and multiple industries, as well as in your programme related specialism. 

The multidisciplinary nature of this programme means that you will have the chance to advance key competencies, knowledge and skills in global fashion management. This will allow you to understand and shape global retail operations by managing multinational fashion organisations, international retail, foreign market entry, and global supply chains and value chains.

On graduating you will be equipped to thrive in either further study or a diverse range of career paths. The knowledge you will have gained will make you especially employable in the fashion industry, including fashion management, fashion marketing, fashion public relations, merchandising and logistics management, management of the product development process, retail or brand management, product sourcing and supply chain management, and e-commerce.

Graduates have gone into careers in a number of different fields. Many continue with their professional practice – our graduates have gone to work for companies such as LVMH Asia, French Connection, Lululemon, Emotech. There are graduates that have gone into academia as a lecturer or PhD researcher.

Careers support

We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers.

The Careers Centre and staff in your faculty provide a range of help and advice to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions along the way, even after you graduate. Find out more about Careers support.