Law and Social Justice LLM

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 17 April to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2023
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons)
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
UK fees
£11,500 (total)
International fees
£24,000 (total)

Course overview

Two students in the Liberty Building

Please note: Due to an exceptionally high number of applications and the competition for places, this course is now closed to further applications for 2023 entry. Applications for 2024 entry will open in October 2023.

The LLM in Law and Social Justice enables you to examine how the law facilitates (or may undermine) social justice at the local, national and international level. The interdisciplinary nature of the course allows you to benefit from the expertise of both the School of Law and School of Sociology and Social Policy.

You will have the opportunity to engage with core modules that explore the ways in which we define, access and attempt to enact justice. Our core modules specifically engage with principles of decolonisation in order to reorient discussions of justice from their colonial and racialised contexts. You will also investigate the range and magnitude of inequalities around disability, gender, race and class both domestically and globally, examining their ongoing implications for law, policy and practice. In addition to core modules, you will also have the opportunity to tailor your course with optional modules, exploring issues such as disability; health, justice and embodiment; social care law; and the building of just and resilient communities.

Throughout the course, you will develop advanced knowledge and transferrable skills such as understanding and solving problems, analysing and communicating complex information, and working independently and as part of a team. All of which will prepare you for a fruitful career in areas such as law, healthcare, social care, the third sector, activism, policy development and local government.

Research insight

The programme is hosted by the Centre for Law and Social Justice, whose members produce internationally-recognised research on key social justice issues. All of our teaching on the course is informed by the latest research, affording you the opportunity to engage with the latest research in fields such as disability law; intersex and trans embodiment; indigenous justice; issues of race and class; children’s rights; and social care law.

Studying LLM Law and Social Justice

Watching in China? View this video on YouKu.

Course details

Core modules will provide a sound understanding of social justice theories as well as develop your competence in the exercise of socio-legal research methods and skills. The seminar teaching approach will also require you to be proactive and develop the necessary oral presentational skills.

A large range of optional modules ensures that you have both a thorough grounding in the key principles, concepts and literature that underpins the broad field of law and social justice as well as the opportunity to focus your study on specific segments of the discipline most relevant to your interest.

Essay assessments for each module will develop your ability to be self-directed and to think critically and analytically. The dissertation will allow you to develop and demonstrate your ability to work as an independent and proactive scholar, giving you in-depth knowledge and a critical understanding of law and social justice in relation to your particular research question(s).

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Law and Social Justice LLM in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Inequalities, Law and Justice 30
Theories of Social Justice 15
Postgraduate Legal Research Skills 15
Dissertation 60

Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)

You will also choose 60 credits from the below:

Module Name Credits
Environmental Law 15
Comparative Human Rights Law 15
International Human Rights 30
Human Rights and Disabled People 1 15
Human Rights and Disabled People 2 15
Global Human Rights Advocacy 30
Global Justice 30
Racism, Decoloniality and Migration 30
Researching Society and Culture 30
Contested Bodies 30
Que(e)rying Sexualities 15
Social Policy Analysis 15
Social Policy Debates 15
Quantitative Research Methods 15
Qualitative Research Methods 15
Disability and Development 15
Public Administration: Policy, Planning and Development in a Globalised World 30
Inequalities: Exploring causes, Consequences and Interventions 30
Researching Inequality in the Media 30

Learning and teaching

We use a variety of teaching and learning methods to help you make the most of your studies. These will include lectures and seminars in which a high level of student engagement and discussion is expected plus online learning. You are encouraged to carry out significant advanced levels of independent legal research.

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

Assessment is by a variety of methods but primarily involves written assignments. We assess the dissertation through your submission of a written piece of work of up to 15,000 words.

Applying

Entry requirements

An upper second class (2:1) degree or non-UK equivalent.

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read  Language for Law (6 weeks) and Language for Social Sciences and Arts: Law (10 weeks).

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Due to an exceptionally high number of applications and the competition for places, this course is now closed to further applications for 2023 entry.

Applications for 2024 entry will open in October 2023.

Admissions policy

University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy 2024

This course is taught by

School of Law
School of Sociology and Social Policy

Contact us

School of Law Postgraduate Admissions Office

Email: pglaw@leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £11,500 (total)

International: £24,000 (total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.  Find out more at Masters funding overview.

The School of Law usually offers a number of scholarships each year.

Find out more about the scholarships we offer.

Career opportunities

This programme is particularly suited to those who wish to pursue a career that centres on or involves understanding and applying law and social justice. This includes areas in public service, the private sector, the voluntary sector, or any other arena where success is built upon higher-level skills and advanced knowledge of social justice and law.

Careers support

The School of Law offers career and personal development support through the School’s dedicated Employability Officers. You can book one-to-one appointments with our Employability Officers throughout the year to discuss your career aspirations and get advice on how to make the most of your time with us.

The School also arranges a number of community engagement (pro bono) and work experience opportunities, career development workshops, guest speaker events and careers fairs throughout the year. These opportunities will allow you to develop new skills, enhance your career prospects and network with prospective employers.

Find out more about how we support your career development.

In addition to the School-specific careers support, you will also have access to the University’s award-winning Careers Centre. The Careers Centre offers one-to-one appointments, advice on starting your own business, careers events, mentoring schemes and support with your CV, applications and interviews.

Find out more about the Careers Centre