Organizational Psychology and Business MSc

Year of entry

Masters Study and Funding online event

Join us online on Wednesday 5 June to receive expert advice on how to make your Masters a reality with funding. Book your place

Start date
September 2023
Delivery type
On campus
Duration
12 months full time
Entry requirements
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in any subject, with a strong grounding in research methods.
Full entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component.
UK fees
£13,750 (total)
International fees
£26,000 (total)
Accredited
Yes

Course overview

One male and one female student sit at a desk looking at the computer screen. The male is pointing to something.

This professionally-recognised course will provide you with the skills and commercial awareness to apply psychological principles to the challenges faced by organisations.

You’ll build your knowledge of the psychological science base while gaining an appreciation of business management, learning from expert practitioners within organizational/industrial psychology.

You’ll examine individual, group and organizational effectiveness by exploring issues such as selection and assessment, and consider the latest topics including managing innovation, change management and designing complex socio-technical systems.

The course has a practical focus you’ll test your professional skills in real business scenarios. During the course you’ll have the opportunity to gain certification in Occupational Test User: Ability and Personality at no additional cost, which is a valuable tool for selection and development.

This Masters is an ideal qualification if you want to work as a practitioner organizational psychologist or academic researcher.

This course replaces the ‘Organizational Psychology’ and ‘Business Psychology’ MSc programmes, which were offered prior to 2023.

Course highlights

• This course is shaped by the latest thinking from our Socio-Technical Centre, and our Workplace Behaviour Research Centre, combining expertise in psychology, management, engineering, environmental science, and geography.

• Learn from an influential group of organizational psychologists who bring the latest industry knowledge into their teaching.

• You’ll have access to our brand-new Behaviour Labs – teaching facilities specifically designed to support the study of organizational behaviours. Our Data Collection Lab, Observation Room and Boardroom allow you to simulate business scenarios and study the dynamics of social interactions.

• Benefit from our connections with a range of organizations who provide real-world insight and experience on how psychology can improve wellbeing and performance. Recent project partners have included: Rolls-Royce; Bentley; Arup; the National Health Service; Network Rail, and Marks and Spencer.

Find out more about studying your Masters at Leeds University Business School .

Accreditation

Leeds University Business School has triple accreditation from the three leading bodies AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS

The course covers the full range of topics required for professional recognition by the British Psychological Society (BPS), the representative body for psychology and psychologists in the UK. To read more about the benefits of undertaking an accredited programme, please see the BPS website.

In order to be eligible for chartered membership of the British Psychological Society and full membership of the Division of Occupational Psychology, you will need to have completed both a degree granting eligibility for graduate basis of chartership (accredited undergraduate degree), as well as an accredited Masters programme (such as this one). You can check whether your undergraduate programme is accredited by the BPS on their website [link: bps.org.uk/]. If you would like to gain chartership, but do not have an accredited undergraduate degree, it may still possible to gain chartership by undertaking an accredited conversion course after completion of the master’s degree.

If you hold a BPS accredited undergraduate degree, graduation from this course fulfils stage one of the requirements for Chartered Membership of BPS and full membership of the Division of Occupational Psychology. Please see the BPS website for details.

Course details

In each semester you’ll study a range of modules that develop your knowledge of key aspects of organizational psychology.

You’ll be introduced to the individual, team and organizational factors that affect workplace behaviours such as decision-making and teamwork. You’ll explore the selection and training methods use by organisations to recruit, develop and retain talent and the design of complex human-technical systems.

From there you’ll study contemporary business priorities such as organizational development and change, as well as approaches to career development and performance management. A further module will put you in real-life business situations to help you develop your commercial awareness and professional skills.

Throughout the year you’ll develop your understanding of research design and analysis in psychology and social sciences, especially behavioural research. This will develop your skills to prepare you for your dissertation – the independent research project on your choice of topic that you’ll submit by the end of the year.

Course structure

The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.

For more information and a full list of typical modules available on this course, please read Organizational Psychology and Business MSc in the course catalogue

Year 1 compulsory modules

Module Name Credits
Selection and Training for Human Performance 15
The Psychology of Effective Organizations 15
Systems Thinking and Consulting Practice 15
Organizational Development and Change 15
Dissertation 60
Managing Performance and Developing Careers 15
Research Design and Analysis 15
Advanced Behavioural Research Design and Analysis 15
Commercial and Professional Skills 15

Learning and teaching

You’ll be taught using a range of methods including lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops. The rest of your time will be spent in independent learning, which allows you to develop your skills in research and analysis.  

Our Virtual Learning Environment will help to support your studies: it’s a central place where you can find all the information and resources for the School, your programme and modules. 

On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.

Assessment

Assessment methods emphasise not just knowledge, but essential skills development too. This may include formal exams, group projects, reports, computer simulation exercises, essays and written assignments, group and individual presentations and reflective logs. 

This diversity enables you to develop a broad range of skills as preparation for professional life. 

Applying

Entry requirements

A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons), which includes at least one module focused on ‘research methods’.

This course will be particularly relevant for applicants who hold an undergraduate degree in Psychology. However, we also accept those from other undergraduate backgrounds, as long as at least one module focused on ‘research methods’ was completed as part of the course. Completion of an undergraduate research dissertation project is also advantageous.

International qualifications

We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.

English language requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component.. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

Improve your English

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.

This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Human Resource Management (6 weeks) and Language for Business: Human Resource Management (10 weeks).

We also offer online pre-sessionals alongside our on-campus pre-sessionals. Find out more about our six week online pre-sessional.

You can also study pre-sessionals for longer periods – read about our postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.

How to apply

Application deadline:

We operate a staged admissions process for this course with selection deadlines throughout the year.

If you do not receive an offer in a particular round, you will either be notified that your application has been unsuccessful, or we will carry your application forward to be considered in the next round.

Please see our How to Apply page for full details and the application deadlines for each stage.

The ‘Apply’ link at the top of this page takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.

If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.

Documents and information you’ll need

• A copy of your degree certificate and transcript, or a partial transcript if you’re still studying
  • Contact details for two academic references
  • A personal statement
  • An up-to-date CV
  • Your approved English Language test* (if applicable)
  • A letter of sponsorship, if you need one.

* Applicants who have not yet completed an approved English language test may apply for a Masters course prior to taking a test.

Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.

This course is taught by

Leeds University Business School

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions Office

Email: masters@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
Telephone:

Fees

UK: £13,750 (total)

International: £26,000 (total)

Read more about paying fees and charges.

For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.

Additional cost information

There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more on our living costs and budgeting page.

Scholarships and financial support

We’re offering 50 Business School Excellence Scholarships to UK and International students starting one of our Masters courses in 2023. These scholarships offer a 50% fee reduction and will be awarded to particularly deserving applicants who demonstrate excellent academic, professional and personal achievements.

You do not have to submit a separate application for our Excellence Scholarships - you will be automatically considered when your course application is reviewed.

International Excellence Scholarships (International applicants)

Masters Excellence Scholarships (UK applicants)

Read more about Masters Funding and Scholarships

Career opportunities

As a graduate of this course you will be business savvy, with a broad appreciation of the financial, strategic and operational workings of contemporary organisations. Our graduates are strongly positioned to enter careers in the public or private sectors, equally adept as dedicated consulting organizational psychologists or human resource specialists.

Recent graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers in a range of organisations and consultancies around the world, including Google, Kiddy and Partners, Capp, and Human Factors International. Roles include Consulting Psychologist, Operations Analyst, Trainee Occupational Psychologist, Management Consultant, Recruitment Consultant and Crowd Management Consultant.

Employer view

"I have been really impressed with the students on the MSc at Leeds. The students themselves are very able and motivated, and the MSc programme provides a very good balance of professional skills and academic depth. As an employer I need organizational psychologists who understand their subject and can interact professionally and effectively with clients – the Leeds programme prepares students very well for their future careers."

Ivan Robertson, Director, Robertson-Cooper

Careers support

As part of this course, our dedicated Professional Development Tutor will provide tailored academic and careers support to help you achieve your career ambitions. 

You can expect expert advice and guidance on your career choices, help in identifying and applying for jobs, support to boost your employability, as well as one-to-one coaching on developing the professional skills you will need to start a successful career, and how to evidence these to prospective employers.

You’ll also benefit from the University’s award-winning Careers Centre, where you can access range of support to help you plan your career and make well-informed decisions, even after you graduate.  

Read more about our careers and professional development support.