Year of entry 2024
- Start dates
- September 2023
- November 2023
- January 2024
- March 2024
- May 2024
- Delivery type
- Online exclusive
- 8 months part time
- Entry requirements
- A First or 2.1 (hons) bachelor degree in any subject.
Full entry requirements
- English language requirements
- IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component
- Online learning fees
- See fees section below
Become a leader in the global digital design and communication industry with our unique online course that integrates digital communication with digital design and covers all aspects of digital design for the virtual environment.
From specialist modules in Creative Design Thinking, through to Design and Research, and Design in a Digital World, in this Postgraduate Certificate you’ll use graphic design software and design tools, learn about web, UX, and UI design, and expand your knowledge of creative industries all while drawing on expertise from leading academics at Leeds School of Design.
By studying our digital design online course, you’ll learn creative problem-solving and strategic thinking within the field of digital design and communication. You’ll be equipped to drive digital design innovation and solve complex communication problems in the digital design sector and other creative industries. If you understand the importance of combining digital design skills with a range of soft skills, this course will give you the skills and knowledge to accelerate your digital design career to management level.
You can choose to complete the PGCert online in a minimum of eight months or up to a maximum of 16 months. You can either exit with the Postgraduate Certificate award, or continue to complete the full Masters degree. By the time you’ve graduated, you’ll be well placed to enter a wide range of exciting careers in digital design and communication, from working across a variety of creative companies, joining an agency, or setting up your own studio as a freelancer.
Why choose the University of Leeds?
We are one of the top 100 universities in the world and ranked in the top 15 in the UK (QS World University Rankings, 2023) with a global reputation for excellence in research and teaching.
Through links with various industry partners worldwide, we provide you with a strong combination of higher education and careers support. Our team of expert academics create an exceptional study experience guided by industry-leading knowledge and research.
Our online Digital Design and Communication PGCert is delivered by academics from Leeds School of Design. We are ranked 8th in the UK for Art and Design (Complete University Guide, 2023), and the School’s research submission achieved 100% ‘world leading’ status for the research environment (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
We’re an interdisciplinary school bringing together expertise from a range of design and technology specialisms.
The School is particularly renowned for its robust research in a wide range of fields and is organised into the following key groups which our staff and postgraduate researchers are members of:
- Practice as research.
- Design history and material culture.
- Colour technology.
- Communication and experience design.
- Fashion marketing and management.
- Textile and fashion design.
- Textile technology.
- Visual communication.
Creative thinking and innovation are at the heart of both our teaching and research as we aim to develop new design ideas and provide solutions to issues faced in industry and society. Our school’s academic staff work closely with industry partners in different sectors such as healthcare, education, environment, and many more.
Our digital design online course will begin with a two-week online induction designed to prepare you for online learning at the University of Leeds. It will introduce the study skills you will need to successfully complete your degree and access some of the top digital design and communication jobs.
Delivered online, the course offers a flexible schedule of modules that are designed for working professionals looking to develop a successful career in the digital design and communication industry. The digital design PGCert course consists of the three compulsory foundation modules, and a choice of one of the six optional modules to help you upskill in an area of interest to you.
The modules cover a variety of subject areas such as Design and Research, where you’ll learn about the research process and which quantitative and qualitative methods can be used to develop effective design solutions, and Design in a Digital World, where you’ll explore current digital design practices and techniques to execute your outputs to a professional level.
You can take the course at your own pace and adapt your studies to fit around your work and life commitments. To give you flexibility, it is possible to pause your studies and take them up again at a later point.
The list shown below represents typical modules/components studied and may change from time to time. Read more in our terms and conditions.
Year 1 compulsory modules
|Design and Research||15|
|Creative Design Thinking||15|
|Design in a Digital World||15|
Year 1 optional modules (selection of typical options shown below)
|Digital Design Practice and Communication||15|
|Data, Analytics and Design||15|
|Design in a Dynamic Team||15|
|Digital Design Trends||15|
|Applied Design, Communication and Case Studies||15|
Learning and teaching
Join our powerful learning network
Push the boundaries of digital design anytime, anywhere with this online PGCert. Your learning will be delivered by Leeds online via our award-winning virtual learning environment (VLE), Minerva. Each week you will study through live face-to-face sessions with our module tutors in a mixture of structured and open-ended learning techniques.
We recognise that professionals have busy lives, so with a 100% online delivery mode, you can manage your learning around your busy personal commitments and full-time employment, without the need to disrupt your life. You will study with a world-leading UK institution without the additional overseas cost of living. We will also provide many tools, including study planners, to help you track your progress and better manage your time.
Minerva can be accessed on different devices, whenever and wherever it suits you. The platform has been designed by a team of experts to ensure your online learning experience is of the highest quality and prepares you for success, both academically and professionally.
You’ll have access to:
- The Pathways to Success induction course designed for online learning students.
- In-course communication tools, such as discussion forums and announcements, to facilitate collaboration with peers and module tutors across the globe with ease.
- Online advice and support services for Minerva.
- Tools to help self-monitor progress.
You will also be able to submit assessments and receive feedback from module tutors during their office working hours.
We recommend a high-speed broadband internet connection with a minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps. You will need regular access to a desktop computer, tablet, or laptop, with a webcam. You will also need the ability to view PDF documents and work in Microsoft Office (software provided).
On this course you’ll be taught by our expert academics, from lecturers through to professors. You may also be taught by industry professionals with years of experience, as well as trained postgraduate researchers, connecting you to some of the brightest minds on campus.
Assessment methods will emphasise not just knowledge, but essential skills development too. These will vary from module to module, with examples including:
- Individual projects including design research-led projects.
- Group discussions and assignments to build on your real-world experience.
- Live and pre-recorded student presentations with imagery and scripts.
- Portfolios demonstrating design outputs.
- Literature reviews, using extensive online resources via the library.
- Digital creative logs.
- Essays/written reports.
- Formative assessment.
- A First or 2.1 (hons) bachelor degree in any subject.
- If you hold a 2.2 (hons) bachelor degree in any subject, or professional qualifications equivalent to bachelor with honours/Masters we’ll consider your application for the PGCert course if you have at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional environment.
- If you hold professional qualifications or Higher Education qualifications equivalent to Level 5, we’ll consider your application for the PGCert course if you have at least five years of relevant work experience in a professional environment.
- Professionally qualified candidates who do not meet the formal qualifications will also be considered but assessed individually.
- We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For more information, please contact our Enrolment Advisors at: email@example.com.
Required English language qualifications:
- GCSE English language at grade C or above, or
- IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component as stated in the current Taught Admissions Policy 2023-24, or
- An appropriate equivalent English language qualification (read English language equivalent qualifications).
In exceptional circumstances applicants can provide alternative proof of English language proficiency rather than a standard English test. This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. You should discuss the criteria with your Enrolment Advisor to see if this can be considered.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component.
How to apply
All suitably qualified candidates will be interviewed by telephone or online as part of the selection process.
Applications for this degree programme are handled by our Enrolment Advisors. Please contact them to find out more about the programme and to start the online application process. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Digital Education Service requires all applicants to provide proof of their identity at the point of application. Accepted forms of ID are:
- Passport photo page, or
- Driving licence, or
- National identity card.
- September 2023 start: 8 August 2023
- November 2023 start: 3 October 2023
- January 2024 start: 5 December 2023
- March 2024 start: 6 February 2024
- May 2024 start: 9 April 2024
Enrolment Advisor team
The following fees apply to those starting their course between May 2023 – 31 August 2024.
UK/EU and International: £5,660
The fee (which can be paid on a module-by-module basis) is composed of:
Four taught modules (15 credits each): £1,415 per module
*If your fees are being paid directly to the University of Leeds by your employer or sponsor you will not be able to pay on a module-by-module basis. Please check with our Enrolment Advisors.
Additional cost information
There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more about additional costs.
Scholarships and financial support
There are no scholarships available for this degree.
Graduates of the University of Leeds (or an affiliated institution) are entitled to a 10% bursary towards tuition fees. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.
Whether you are looking to start your digital design career or advance in your current role, this course opens a range of opportunities to develop a challenging and rewarding career in the digital design and communication industry. If coupled with relevant work experience you may be able to progress/take on roles in a wide range of industries (creative, technology, fashion, government, healthcare) listed below, but this is based very much on individual circumstances:
- UX/UI Design Manager
- Digital Design Manager
- Digital Animation Artist Manager
- Digital Graphic Design Manager
- Social Media Design Manager
- Interaction Design Manager
- Web Design Manager
- App Design Manager
- Graphic Design Manager
- Product Design Manager
The Leeds School of Design has an employability lead for postgraduate taught courses, and as an online student you’ll benefit from:
- A range of events on careers and employability run throughout the year that include CV preparation and job applications.
- Alumni focused events with recent and past graduates talking about their career journeys.
- Career networking opportunities through industry related events.
We are committed to supporting you to get the most out of your postgraduate study so that you graduate with excellent career prospects in digital design and communication. Our career support will help you in both approaching companies and throughout the application process.
As a Leeds student, you will also have access to the University of Leeds Careers Service’s extensive online resources including:
- Access to a database of employer events.
- Career planning guidance.
- CV writing tips.
- Job application support.
- Key interview skills advice.
- Tailored one-to-one support via an e-Guidance service which can provide advice by appointment via telephone, or virtual meeting.
Request further information