Applications will be considered from:
- non-graduates who have successfully completed three years of a UK medical degree (or equivalent), and wish to take the MRes course as an intercalated course.
- applicants with a first class or second class first division degree in a science allied with medicine (including anatomy, biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or biomedical science).
- applicants with a MBChB, BChD or BVMS from a UK or EU University
- graduates with a second class second division science degree normally with appropriate work experience (two years or more) in a health subject area.
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For information contact the MRes Medicine Admissions Team.
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 overall, with no less than 6.0 in writing and 6.5 in all other components. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications
International students who do not meet the English language requirements for the programme may be able to study an English for Academic Purposes pre-sessional course with a progression route to the degree programme. For information and entry requirements, read Pre-sessional programmes
How to apply
The deadline for applications is 30 June 2019 23:59 or until the course is full.
There is an earlier application deadline for medical students who want to study this course as an intercalated courses:
Leeds medical students – go to application for internal applicants (on our Intercalation webpages).
Medical students at other universities – click the apply button below
Documents and information you’ll need:
- Transcript of the grades you have received so far in your degree (accompanied by a certified English translation if your transcripts are not written in English)
- Degree certificate if you have already graduated (accompanied by a certified English translation if your certificate is not written in English)
- Personal statement explaining your research interests and stating your three preferred research projects (see list that becomes available in December).
- At least one academic reference
- A photocopy of your passport (data page only) for International applicants
This link takes you to information on applying for taught programmes and to the University's online application system.
If you're unsure about the application process, contact the admissions team for help.
Read about visas, immigration and other information in International students. We recommend that international students apply as early as possible to ensure that they have time to apply for their visa.
School of Medicine Taught Postgraduate Policy 2019
- UK/EU: £10,500 (total)
- International: £22,750 (total)
Read more about paying fees and charges.
For fees information for international taught postgraduate students, read Masters fees.
Additional cost information
There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study, or related to being a student at the University of Leeds. Read more about additional costs
Scholarships and financial support
If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government. Find out more at Masters funding overview.